Thursday, April 5, 2012

Maundy Thursday

            It was super cold this morning!  I think it was in the fifties, which, after spending most of the winter in Florida, feels quite chilly to me.  Our kids didn’t come for tutoring this morning (we think there was testing at school, or maybe they thought today was a holiday) so I spent the morning wrapped up in a blanket, drinking hot coffee and trying to keep myself from eating all of the chocolate we bought yesterday. 
            Dee asked if we could have the ladies write thank-you letters for the boxes of clothes that a church in Michigan sent, so we spent most of class helping them formulate those.  The letters were very heartfelt and written very beautifully, despite the expected spelling and grammatical errors.  Regina, for example, wrote something along the lines of, “I have nothing to give you in return, but may God bless you for your generosity.”  The ladies and their kids are extremely thankful for the clothes and wear them proudly.
            Preschool was weird today because I had a bunch of older kids show up instead of the normal four year olds.  Schools in Zambia close in April, so most of the kids are already off, unless they’re testing this week.  It was fun for me to have some of my tutoring kids around.  During our playtime, the older ones helped the younger ones play Duck, Duck, Goose, and then when we got bored with that I decided to start up a kickball game.  Again, I need to reiterate how much I love these kids.  I could play kickball with them all day long.
            After that, I had Barnabas and Stone for tutoring.  The older Barnabas was still at school and Stone was just hanging around, so I invited him to come in for some extra lessons.  Barnabas is super smart, just like his sister Pimbi and Cornelius (his nickname his Corn – he’s three and has the funniest little laugh.  He sits and laughs for no apparent reason – today he was staring at a toy airplane, laughing hysterically, all by himself. My niece Reesa is the only little kid with a laugh cuter than him.)
            This is the last weekend that we’ll be staying in the guest house for a while.  In a week or so, there will be some major conferences being held here.  All the pastors of the LCCA will be here as well as some pastors from the WELS seminary.  There will be almost 60 men here, which means we can’t hold classes because all of the seminarian students and their wives will have jobs in order to make the conferences run smoothly.  Rachel and I are moving to a little house kind of away from all the action.  We’re hoping to help the wives and Anne with the cooking and maybe come up with activities to do with the kids during the day.  And who knows – maybe we’ll be able to do some tutoring despite the scheduling difficulties and lack of space.  We’re also hoping to do some more travelling during this time, like South Luangwe, one of the best game parks in Africa.   
            This afternoon the Cardinals/Miami baseball game was being replayed on ESPN, so we watched it at Dr. Wendland’s house.  All the Wendlands are huge Cardinals fans.  I’m not the biggest baseball fan (at all) but I enjoyed seeing the new Marlins stadium.  And watching TV is always a special treat for us, so I definitely enjoyed it. 
            No church for us tonight – Bethel doesn’t have it on Maundy Thursday; Good Shepherd does but the traffic is so bad that we would have had to leave very early and that would have conflicted with tutoring times.  Tomorrow there is 9 AM worship, which will be a strange feeling.  My favorite service of the year was always the Tenebrae service, which I haven’t been to since leaving Spokane, but that’s always what I think of when I think of Good Friday.  It’ll be quite different attending a sunny, warm (hopefully), service in the morning.   

No comments:

Post a Comment