Saturday, April 14, 2012

In-Service Day

The in-service went well this morning.  There were about 8 teachers there, which is good, considering it’s their holiday and it’s difficult to get to the campus.  We focused on classroom management and games to play in the classroom, which were topics they asked us to speak on.  Thanks to Dr. Wolle, Jon Romsdahl, Amy Schramm, Marty Miller, and Abby Hintz for sending help my way to help us get prepared!  I discussed some of the things they sent me and also presented information from Harry Wong and jingles from Shirley English. 
The teachers seemed receptive to the ideas I presented.  I tried to stress that we weren’t there to lecture them.  They are, after all, experienced and educated teachers.  We are newbies with some education and basically no experience.   But the teachers assured me that what we were presenting was helpful and that they’d be able to implement many of the things in their schools.  I enjoyed speaking with the teachers and hearing about their unique situations.
After the in-service, I laid outside in the sun for a while.  It was breezy and pretty chilly this morning, so I had to be outside with sweats and a jacket on, but it was still nice.  Then I got a game of kickball going for a while with the kids before I went to choir at 3.  Tomorrow Rachel and I debut our dancing skills for the Bethel congregation…mmm.  This should be interesting.
Tonight we had dinner with the Mathiaks, Birners, Sargents, and the other American visitors – Pastor Weiser again and Professor Cherney from the seminary.  We heard lots of stories from their work in Nigeria.  Nigeria differs from Zambia.  Zambians are known for their calm, pleasant, laid-back demeanors.  Nigerians are not.  Certain areas of the country are rather violent and foreigners are at a greater risk there (generally speaking) than in Zambia.  Again, I am very thankful for not only my living situation in America, but also for the peacefulness of Zambia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment