Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Chilly Fall Day

Regina’s history is so interesting.  Getting an education is so important to her that when she was a teenager, she took time off to work as a maid in order to pay for her school fees.  She’d work for a year, go back to school until she ran out of money, and then go back to work.  She loves being on the seminary campus because she gets to take classes.  We of course got off-topic during class and I ended up showing them pictures from our Victoria Falls trip.  When they saw pictures of me sitting with the elephant, Regina asked, “But madam, doesn’t the trunk have teeth?  Can’t it bite you?”  I explained what it felt like to them and was struck by the false information the women had.  I’ve noticed this before; as a general rule, the women and children aren’t very well educated about their own country.   
            Preschool went rather well today, even though all of the crazy kids were there.  I tried some new strategies with them today and they worked pretty well.  At the end when we were all playing outside, I had Aubly on my back while I was playing soccer/volleyball with three of the kids.  He was hanging on my back like he was a little monkey, which ended up being a pretty good workout for me.  My tutoring was low key today and I had some good opportunities to work one-on-one with a couple students.  Barnabas and Stone continue to work super hard for me and never want me to give them the answer for anything. 
            We played volleyball again this afternoon.  It is cold here!  Rachel doesn’t think so, but I was wearing a fleece coat most of the day.  It’s getting to be winter in the southern hemisphere.  By cold, I mean it’s in the sixties and the sun is hiding behind the clouds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment