Monday, April 30, 2012

The End of April Already??

            Today went well.  I tutored Bertha, Mildred, Given, and Obey.  Given and Obey worked mostly on math stuff.  Berth and Mildred are still chipping away at “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.”  We had more ladies show up then expected for class, so that was a nice surprise.  We reviewed some of our church vocabulary words from last week, played a game that they enjoyed (Bertha said, “My heart!” and motioned that it was fluttering – she gets really competitive) and then we introduced this week’s topic: buildings. 
            My afternoon tutoring session was Shain and Mirriam.  I haven’t made as much progress with Shain as I would have liked.  He still struggles with letters and their sounds, but I think his conversational English has improved.  Mirriam’s reading has improved.  These two are probably my most challenging tutoring session because their ability levels are rather far apart from each other’s, but I can’t really let them work independently either.  I’m forced to get creative and come up with things we can do together while still challenging both of them.
            The rest of our day was spent doing mundane things…planning, cleaning, cooking, and working on a PowerPoint presentation for our time spend in Zambia.  I talked to my sister on Facebook and finished reading a very average Nicholas Sparks book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment