Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Where do you put the cows when it snows?"

            Since I had only three of the five ladies in English today, I decided not to teach the new lesson and instead spent part of the two hours showing pictures of Washington.  The women were intrigued by Mount Rainier and my explanation of volcanoes.  Thokazani thought the people living in Seattle were extremely foolish for living so close to one, even after I explained it hadn’t erupted in a long time.  The pictures of snow were even more fascinating for them.  They kept asking what all the animals did during winter and were horrified about the idea of having to shovel every time it snowed.  I showed them some animals found in the U.S., like moose (which they thought looked like the African buffalo), deer (they compared it to the impala), and skunks (I spent a good five minutes explaining their defense mechanism – they couldn’t believe it).  Again, they asked what these animals did during winter, so I explained that some animals hibernate, which they thought was funny.  This was all incredibly off-topic and in no way related to our theme for the week, but the ladies seemed to really enjoy it and asked tons and tons of questions.  I pointed out other places on the map that I had lived and explained that Washington is very different from Florida.  I said that Florida’s actually pretty similar to Zambia weather-wise, except that Florida has hurricanes.  They had never heard of hurricanes either, so that led to another discussion. 
            Before all this, we played a modified Bananagrams game with Rachel’s group.  This was highly entertaining to Rachel and me because we saw the women get feisty and competitive. 
            Preschool went very well today – the best it ever has.  The kids went crazy with dancing again and even organized their own little songs and chants to do.  So funny! 
            We had more tutoring and then volleyball.  It was a very full yet pleasant day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment