Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Pretty Typical Sunday

                Church, shopping, and pool – sounds like the Sundays I spent in Florida.  We went to Good Shepherd again.  We took Communion, and during the hymn (310 -I Come Oh Savior, To Your Table, I think it’s called – the one with fifteen verses, which we sang all of by the way.  I told you it was very traditional!) I was thinking about being in heaven with all these people someday.  There, we won’t have any language or cultural barriers and we’ll be able to communicate and worship perfectly together.  The people I met in Ukraine will be there too…it was such a mind-blowing thought!  We’ll understand each other and love each other perfectly.  How crazy!  Anyway, I’m rambling…
                After church, we went to a marketplace outside the mall while waiting for Sue to be done with a meeting.  I posted what I bought on facebook – the Africa carving and two paintings.  We had so much fun there and will probably be back often, spending too much money. We’re getting better at bartering, I think – we were able to talk them down to just about half the asking price. 
                We went to the American International School to swim laps again with the Birners.  On the way there, I discovered that I had run much of the route when I had been lost.  Again, this school is twenty to thirty minutes away, and I ran almost all the way up to it.  The gym (where I was offered a free trial) is maybe a mile away from it, and that is where I turned around.  What’s funny is that if I had not stopped at the gym and kept running, I would have seen the school and realized just how far away I was and been able to go in there and get some help.  My adventure would have been cut short about two hours.  Oh well – live and learn!  Now I can be the poster child for all future Americans coming to Zambia and warn them all about the dangers of running by yourself. 
                Rachel and I are getting along really well – we’re very similar and spent a lot of the afternoon just sitting around and talking.  What a blessing, because we were both admittedly a little nervous at the thought of spending the next three months with a person we barely knew. 
                Tonight, we made some eggs with tomatoes and onions.  Anne doesn’t cook for us on the weekends, and she had been busy with some surprise visits from pastors in the area, so we have been fending for ourselves for a few days by eating lots of peanut butter sandwiches and cereal.  Even I can’t handle that much peanut butter, so we were forced to get a little creative and actually cook something ourselves.  While we were cooking, a group of boys saw us in the windows and came and watched.  I think Damiwe has a little crush on me…when he saw me, he smiled really big and then came and sat at the window, staring at me and smiling the whole time. 
                Tomorrow we begin teaching!  I’m a little nervous because we really aren’t sure what to expect.  I hope what we planned isn’t too hard or too easy for the women, and I hope the kids we tutor give us some idea of what they’re capable of so we can plan some specific assignments for them later in the week.  I can’t believe we’ve been here for a little over a week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment