Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Lots and Lots of Teaching

Phew…full day.  We started off with two hours of English class, which went pretty well.  I’m pushing the ladies a lot more than last week; they are so smart and catch on to things so quickly.  After English, I tutored Obey and Stone, then had lunch break, and then two hours of preschool.  Preschool went fine.  There were some really great parts and some parts that weren’t as smooth.  The really great parts were when the kids were staring at me intently while I drew the letter B in the air, or they were laughing hysterically at songs that Rachel was doing with them, or when we were outside and the kids were dying for us to play games with them.  The other parts that we need to figure out are when certain little ones stop listening and purposefully do naughty things to get our attention.  Sigh…if only I could speak their language.  We’re working on it, though, and it really has gotten better.
                After that, I tutored my two Barnabas boys.  I can’t say enough good things about these guys.  The older one is crazy smart, super polite, and just such a good kid.  The younger one works really hard, is really good with the little kids, and is always so happy to see me, even when he knows tutoring won’t be as fun as kickball. 
                Tonight, some large creature flew in our house. It was like a cross between a dragon-fly, a praying mantis, and a locust, but way bigger than all three of those things.  I was preparing to enforce my usual defense method (trapping it under a bucket and leaving it for a few days) when from the wastebasket I had in my hand emerged another little animal.  I felt something scurry across my hand, so I naturally flipped out, dropped the basket on the ground, and shrieked for several seconds while the thing ran under the couch.  For all I know, it’s still there.  We’re thinking it’s a lizard from the glimpses we saw of it, which is fine.  Lizards are pretty cute and don’t bother me, except for when they startle me by running across my hand.   
                Nothing too crazy here other than that. Tonight was spent planning, relaxing, and gearing up for the rest of the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment