Monday, March 19, 2012

Do-Do-Do-Shaw Do-Do-Do-Shaw

            I felt very prepared going into this week.  I feel like I know exactly what to expect from each student and can plan good things for them.  Same for the ladies – I’m not going into each lesson hoping it won’t be too hard or too easy.  It’s nice waking up feeling like that.
            Given showed up for today’s tutoring session, which was fine.  Great, actually – again, he’s the thirteen year old who is reading at a first grade level, and I found out today he can’t do simple math.  It breaks my heart, because he’s obviously really smart but somehow hasn’t had the opportunity to learn as much as he should.  I hope he comes as much as he can because he works hard and is improving rapidly.
            English with the ladies went well - lots of laughter and teasing today. 
            Afternoon tutoring was outside under a tree on a grass mat because our tables were being used by some visiting pastors.  That was fantastic…I wish I could teach in that setting more!  Today was a really breezy, cool day.  Still sunny, but there was almost a crispness in the air that was a welcome relief from the blazing hot past few days we’ve had.  From what I hear, Wisconsin probably had hotter weather than we had today.
            We stopped by preschool to videotape them dancing (the title of this blog is the beat they were singing).  Rachel and I both got some hysterical videos and have already enjoyed watching them several times.  Later, we went for a walk, and I was again struck by how much I am enjoying myself here.  I am so content, happy, and thankful for my situation.  I’m in one of the most beautiful places on earth, surrounded by some of the happiest, kindest people I’ve ever met. 
        

No comments:

Post a Comment