Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dancing Lessons

                I started off my morning by tutoring Mildred and Betha, the two very sweet, studious young girls who I just love.  I haven’t seen them since the first day I tutored them because we kept having holidays on their days.  We’ve been enjoying reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (I am so happy St. Marcus donated those books…they have been a tremendous help!).  Then I had English with the ladies.  Today we had a lot of funny moments.  We’re working on describing people and making comparisons, so I showed them pictures I got off Facebook.  I showed them a picture of me with some friends and asked who had the whitest skin.  It was obviously me, and the ladies started laughing because they didn’t want to insult me.  I made a joke about how I’m whiter than everyone and always get made fun of for it, and they thought that was funny.  I showed them a picture of a group of people I got off Google and asked them to describe the woman in the pink dress.  I heard one of them say something about how she was a muzungo (white person), so I repeated it and they were so proud I knew that word.  I said I know what it is because I hear it every time I walk down the street and they also liked that.  To get them talking, I asked them to describe all the people in the pictures.  Some of the ladies said stuff like, “I like your hair” or “You are pretty” and I told them they were just sucking up. 
                Then we did preschool.  Charity came and showed us what she does with them.  We saw her routine and how she handles the more rambunctious kids, and as a result, today went very, very well.  We took turns teaching and we all learned from each other.  The most hilarious moment of today was when Charity had them do some dances.  We got in a circle and sang this rhythmic song while clapping to the beat, and one of the kids would dance around the circle, then enter the circle, do a little dance for everyone, pull someone into the circle to dance with them, and then someone else would start the whole thing all over.  Rachel and I were so shocked to see all the tiny little boys pull out Michael Jackson moves.  All the girls, some who can barely kick a ball, danced with amazing coordination. I was just dying of laughter – until I was pulled into the circle.  Rachel threatened my life and wouldn’t let me pull her in.  
                We left preschool very optimistic about our future lessons.  Afterwards, I had the two Barnabases and gave them a quick lesson on the state of Washington (they requested it). I showed them a picture of Twilight (because it takes place in Forks, WA) and they immediately knew what it was.  That kind of makes me sad...

No comments:

Post a Comment