Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Snow White, Fritters, and Star Gazing

                I woke up early to try running for the first time in two weeks.  It didn’t go very well – I thought my foot was healed but it’s definitely not.  I’m trying not to complain about it too much and am praying it heals up quickly.
                I tutored the four boys – Given, Stone, Jeremiah, and Obey.  I have a good handle on what they can and can’t do, so I felt like we were productive today.  I’m happy I’m able to get to know the boys through soccer and kickball because it helps me understand how to teach them. 
                In English, we’re reading Snow White.  The ladies seem to be enjoying it, even though the vocabulary can be difficult.  Then I spent some time with Shain and Miriam.  I’m beginning to realize how different their reading levels are and will have to give them differentiated, if not completely separate, lessons from now on. 
                At lunch, Anne made us cheese fritters, a.k.a. deep fried bread with cheese in the middle.  Needless to say, that made our day.  In the afternoon, Dave and his friends decided to go monkey hunting.  They shot one out of the tree, to the great delight of the boys, who picked it up and posed with it like a stuffed animal.  The pictures are really funny – check Rachel’s facebook.  We asked what they were going to do with the monkeys, and there are some tribes out here who eat them, so one of the students will probably take it home for dinner. 
                We went to church at Bethel and while we were singing the last verse of our hymn, the power went out.  Everyone immediately stopped singing, laughed, and shrugged their shoulders.  The stars were incredible tonight, especially with all the lights being out, so when Rachel and I got home, we got the mat out and laid on it while planning for tomorrow.  I’ve never seen the sky look so beautiful and was actually kind of disappointed when the power came back on. 
                Overall, it was another good, busy day.  It was very hot, so we’re hoping a rain storm comes tomorrow to cool everything down.  We’re also hoping to somehow watch some March Madness games!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment