Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Saying Good-Bye to Anne

            This morning for tutoring I had young Barnabas and Given.  One of the sheets I did with them was labeling the different colors, which then turned into a game of “I Spy.”  We did some math and reading and then ended up playing an adapted game of Pictionary.  I started doing math facts and of course the two boys got really competitive and tried to race each other.  Daliso (Rachel’s student) started playing too.  It was a fun morning. 
            We split up English class for today so I could finish up “Beauty and the Beast” with my ladies.  They really seem to have picked up on some of the trickier vocabulary words used in the story.  At the end, I pulled out my laptop and showed them the last couple minutes of the Disney version.  There were lots of “oohs” and “awwws” when the beast changed into a man and kissed Beauty.  On the side of the YouTube page I saw links to a few other Disney movies, so I showed them a couple minutes of “The Little Mermaid” and “The Lion King.”  They had no idea what the context for those movies were and I think they thought they were really weird.
            My afternoon tutoring brought Shain, Jeremiah, Obey, and Mirriam.  We did some worksheets, read some stories, and did some spelling.  I told them we’d only have two more days for tutoring, and they all said they would come both of those days.       
            This afternoon brought some tears – we had to say good-bye to Anne.  She is worn out from her recent weeks of cooking for 60+ people and therefore was encouraged to go spend some quiet weeks at her home a couple hours away.  As sad as we are to say good-bye earlier than necessary, I’m so happy that she gets to get away and relax. 
             Tomorrow we’re going camping!!  Mrs. Birner is taking us and Ethel (one of the girls who goes to Good Shepherd – we met her when we went to the crocodile farm) to Kafue to camp until Saturday.  There won’t be any Internet interaction until then, so try not to miss my blogs too much! 

No comments:

Post a Comment