Sunday, May 6, 2012

Keyboard Malfunctions and Arcades

I played for church today.  It was a little challenging – the keyboard didn’t sit on the stack of bricks straight so it wobbled whenever I changed chords, the wind was blowing my pages shut and my hair in my face, and the keyboard kept turning on and off.  Jack, the guy who usually plays the keyboard, tried to help and did what he could to make it run smoothly, but it wasn’t the best service I’ve ever played.  He was really nice, though.  He kept saying how he wished Rachel and I would be in Africa longer so we could help him learn how to play the keyboard better. 
            We ventured into town to barter with the vendors at Arcades.  We wanted to trade some of clothes and shoes we didn’t want anymore and expected the vendors to give us a good deal, but we were surprised by their reactions.  In Livingstone, I had vendors begging me to bring them T-shirts, but here they weren’t really interested.  We finally had some luck, though, and went home fairly happy.   The bus rides there and back were of course adventures all by themselves.  I think I’ve mentioned before that Zambians rarely get impatient and generally don’t mind waiting, but today I finally saw some Zambians get irritated.  The callboy on the first bus ride took at least ten minutes at the first stop running up and down the road trying to get people to get on our bus and the other passengers on the bus started grumbling at him and told him to hurry it up.  He made our trip into town much, much longer than it normally does.  On the way back, we were concerned because our bus started taking the same route through Kaunda Square as a couple days ago, but it turned out it was just avoiding traffic.  This did make our trip really long, though, as it had to go less than 10 mph through pothole ridden streets.   
            We planned for the week and tried to stay on top of our ever-growing list of things to do.  It’s unbelievable how close we are to leaving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment