Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Last Time Teaching Preschool

            Our session of English class was missing several ladies due to illness and work, so we only had six ladies today.   Since Regina wasn’t there to help translate for some of the lower ladies, it was a trickier lesson, but we were able to adapt and make it work.
            Because today was the first day of school for the kids after their April holiday, no one showed up for our 10:30 tutoring session.  I have a feeling that from here until the end, we’re going to have a lot of confusing schedule issues because many of the kids switched from morning to afternoon school or vise versa.  We enjoyed a longer lunch break before preschool.  This was the first time we taught it in a couple weeks.  It went pretty well – we had them make Mother’s Day cards, sang songs, and did the usual ABC and counting chants.  Then, my usual afternoon tutoring students didn’t show because their schedules were changed, but some other boys – Given, Obey, Shain, and Sam – showed up to see if I would teach them.  Their levels are all pretty different, so we did what we could with Bananagrams and another worksheet I quick made up.  Then we decided to have Rachel’s student Mwandida come with us and play some games.  We played the Slap game that I learned from a teacher at DSA, which they thought was pretty hilarious, and then we read some stories.  We finished up with a competitive game of Simon Says (the version I learned from doing NBC camps).  They begged to play more rounds of it and were so disappointed when I said we had to stop.  The boys, especially Given and Shain, have dramatically transformed from the meek, quiet, calm characters they usually appear to be and are now quite boisterous at times.  They’re obviously really comfortable with me now.  Also, I think they’re just being typical boys – the more there are, the crazier they get.  We had a lot of fun today and I’m realizing just how on my toes I’m going to have to be in the next few days.  I have a feeling I’m going to have a lot of random groups of kids because of all these schedule changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment