Sunday, May 20, 2012

Last Entry


            My African adventure is officially over.  When I first heard about this opportunity, my initial reaction was, “Sure, why not?”  I wasn’t really nervous about going so far away, nor was I overly excited or enthusiastic about it.  I looked forward to it, but I wasn’t expecting the experience to be what it was.
My attitude completely changed soon after landing in Zambia.  Somebody told me that once you’ve been to Africa, it gets in your blood and always stays with you.  They were right.  I fell in love with Africa.  I had no idea that I would grow this connected to it.  My time spent in Zambia wasn’t always perfect: there were moments where I felt sad, homesick, tired, and irritated.  But those moments were few and far between.  Most of the time, I was supremely happy.  I loved the weather, the animals, the plants, but most of all, the people.  Never before have I had the pleasure of working with such happy, pleasant, and content people.  The kids played outside all day long with nothing but sticks, avocados, and a deflated old football to entertain themselves.  The women worked all day in the garden, cleaned and cooked, and usually worked an additional job but still found time to come to English class and work hard.  Everywhere I went, I was treated like a very welcome guest. 
I’ll never forget my time spent in Africa.  I believe it has changed me for the better.  I hope the next time that I complain, I’ll think about the families I met who each own about six pieces of clothing or about the schools that can’t even give each child a single piece of paper.  Material things don’t make you happy; I was reminded of this every day in my short time in Zambia. 
Thanks for reading along and allowing me to share my experiences with you.  I am so blessed to have had this opportunity and to have so many people praying for me and thinking of me.  If you ever get the chance, go to Africa.  I promise that you will love it and never regret it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment